Sunday, March 8, 2009

Welcome

Welcome to my blog: Anasazi Dreams which will take you on an extended voyage through the world of the Anasazi and related cultures that began between 5,000 (San Jose culture) to 12,000 (Clovis culture) years ago. Although as a distinct culture the Anasazi began around 100 BC, and now only their spirit remains, especially within the Puebloan and Hopi cultures that exists today in our Southwest.

It is important to understand that the term Anasazi is a Navajo word meaning either "ancient enemies" or the "ancient ones" that was given to early archaeologists by Navajo workers helping with the continuing exploration of the "ancient one's" ruins. We really do not know what this culture called themselves. Despite objections from some Native Americans today, the term Anasazi remains the commonly used name for this culture while their descendants, today, are referred to as Puebloan and Hopi. There is no disrespect intended by my use of Anasazi, in fact the acceptance of its translation to mean the "ancient ones" is most fitting.

About the banner. I took an image of the handprint pictographs that are characteristic of Anasazi and other cultures that occupied the Southwestern United States. I modified the image to give it a more dreamlike quality to be in line with the theme of Anasazi Dreams. Discussions about rock art and its cultural links will be an important part of this blog.

Lastly, much of what you will read here is a compilation of interpretations and research by both archaeologists and anthropologists. Be advised, I am neither. I am a son of the Southwest that was raised in my infant years by Navajos. My interpretations are going to be biased by that background and by my strong desire to relate what I believe may have been the interwoven dreams of those early cultures that settled the Southwest. To offset this, I will be including links and reading lists that will help each follower of this blog derive their own interpretations and appreciation for these early American cultures.

To each I wish you K'e' (k' ay' -rising tone). This is the Navajo expression for peace .

3 comments:

  1. I am new at developing this blog and here is an important detail about the time span that the Anasazi culture existed. Astoundingly, to me at least, things started earlier than 6500 BC. Here is a link: http://tinyurl.com/csdwsx

    ReplyDelete
  2. To help infuse the Anasazi spirit within your life, if you wish, go here and let Carlos Nakai's flute poem woo you: http://tinyurl.com/dbktdv

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, thoughtful blog. I too, find the early cultures of the southwest facinating and inspirational.
    Peace,
    mary makowski

    ReplyDelete